Note to myself on who I still have to create profiles on:
Democrats- Lincoln Chafee
Republicans- Jeb Bush, Rick Santorum, George Pataki, Lindsey Graham, Rick Perry, and… Donald Trump.
But, for now, Martin O’Malley! Stay tuned for another profile today on Ben Carson!
Who is Martin O’Malley?
-Governor of Maryland
Where does Martin O’Malley stand on certain issues?
- Gay Rights: Pro gay rights. Legalized gay marriage in Maryland during his time as Governor. “The dignity of every person tells us that the right to marry is not a state right, it is a human right.”
- Women’s Rights: Wants increased access to contraception. Signed the Maryland Parental Leave Act.
- War: Opposes the Iraq war.
- Foreign Policy: Has openly shied away from answering questions on foreign policy. Has not made his stance clear.
- Abortion: Pro-choice. Supports federal abortion funding.
- Student Loans/Debts: Wants to lower the interest rate on student loans. “It’s outrageous that you can buy a home for a lower interest rate than you can get a student loan.”
- Healthcare: Supports Obamacare. Believes that health care is a right, not a privilege.
- Criminal Justice: Against the death penalty- ended it in Maryland while Governor. Wants stricter gun control laws.
- Marijuana: Opposed to the legalization of marijuana for recreational use. Believes that marijuana could act as a gateway to more “harmful behavior.” As governor, he signed into legislation a bill that decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana- people in possession of less than 10 grams will receive a civil fine instead of a criminal sanction.
- Immigration: As Governor, he signed legislation to extend in-state tuition breaks to children of illegal immigrants in Maryland. Also signed in a law that allows children of illegal immigrants to get their driver’s license. “When refugee children arrive on our doorstop fleeing starvation and death gangs, we don’t turn them away — we act like the generous, compassionate people we have always been.” Supports Obama’s executive action on immigration.
What are the highlights of Martin O’Malley’s campaign?
-Fighting for the middle class. Raised minimum wage in Maryland, created new jobs.
-Climate change: “Reduce greenhouse gas emissions, invest in renewable energy, and grow green jobs”
-Social issues: Women’s rights, gay rights, pro-choice, immigration.