Since I’ve missed two weeks and, obviously, many more have announced their intent to run in the presidential election, I am posting two profiles today!
Here’s the low-down on Ben Carson!
Who is Ben Carson?
-First surgeon to ever separate conjoined twins at the head
-No professional political experience. Is joining the presidential race because “I believe it is a very good idea for physicians, scientists, engineers, and others trained to make decisions based on facts and empirical data to get involved in the political arena.”
Where does Ben Carson stand on certain issues?
- Gay rights: Does not support gay marriage. “Marriage is between a man and a woman. No group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality, it doesn’t matter what they are. They don’t get to change the definition.”
- Women’s Rights: “There are those of us in this society who have told women that there’s a war on them because that cute little baby inside of them, they may want to get rid of it and there are people that are keeping you from doing that. And women say, ‘No, no, they’re not doing that to me! No!’ And they get all riled up. What we need to do is re-educate the women to understand that they are the defenders of these babies.” Believes that what happened in Ferguson all began with the women’s liberation movement in the 60s. “I hate to say it, but a lot of it had to do with the women’s lib movement.” Doubts the high numbers of domestic violence cases in America.
- War: Believes all rules should be demolished in the war against ISIS. “There is no such thing as a politically correct war. If you’re gonna have rules for war, you should just have a rule that says no war. Other than that, we have to win.”
- Foreign Policy: “All options should remain on the table when dealing with international bullies such as President Putin (in Russia).” Stands by Israel.
- Abortion: 100% Pro-Life.
- Student Loans/Debt: Believes the best way for students to afford college is for them to work. Believes there’s nothing wrong with taking a few years before college to work and save up money. Does not support Obama’s idea to allow two years of community college for free.
- Healthcare: Opposes Obamacare- quoted saying it’s the worst thing since slavery. Supports Health Savings Accounts. Believes the government should be less involved in health care and that it should be in the hands of families.
- Criminal Justice: Wants to keep the detention facility at Gitmo opened.
- Marijuana: Against legalizing recreational marijuana. Believes it is a gateway drug.
- Immigration: “Incentives for illegal immigration are easy enrollment in public schools, easy employment for those willing to take jobs others don’t want, easy access to health care, and easy acquisition of public support through welfare programs. Yet this population cannot participate in the formal workforce, which means they cannot contribute fully to their local economies. Any discussion of immigration reform should include bipartisan solutions that both address the undocumented population here today and discourage illegal immigration going forward.” Wants to secure the borders.
What are the highlights of Ben Carson’s campaign?
-Keeping faith in our society
-Protecting America from outside threats
-Reforming health care