Democrat Martin O’Malley and Republicans Rick Santorum and George Pataki have announced that they are running for President. I will talk about Martin O’Malley next before writing a profile on Ben Carson. And I will keep updating as we get more candidates! In the meantime, as promised: Mike Huckabee!
Who is Mike Huckabee?
- Southern Baptist
- Ordained minister
- Governor of Arkansas
- Ran for President in the 2008 election
Where does Mike Huckabee stand on certain issues?
- Gay Rights: Will “vigorously oppose” any redefinition of traditional marriage. Also opposed to civil unions for gay couples. Against gay adoptions. “I may stand alone, but I am absolutely faithful to the issue of marriage. Not because it’s politically expedient, but because it’s the Biblical position, the historical position and the right position. We must defend, protect and preserve traditional marriage.”
- Women’s Rights: Does not believe birth control should be covered by the government. “If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control, because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it.”
- War: Wants US military to be the most feared and strongest in the world. “The best way to avoid conflict is to build a lethal fighting force so strong and powerful that no one would dare mess with us.”
- Foreign Policy: Will stand by Iran and against radical Islam and do everything he can to prevent them from obtaining nuclear weapons.
- Abortion: Pro-Life. No exceptions, unless the mother’s life is in danger.
- Student Loans/Debts: Supports federally funded, state-administered scholarships for students who go into national service. Supports scholarships for low-income students who do well in high school.
- Healthcare: Intends to repeal Obamacare.
- Criminal Justice: Opposes hate crime legislation. Supports the death penalty.
- Marijuana: Does not support making marijuana legal, for medicinal or recreational purposes.
- Immigration: Wants to immediately secure the border. Opposes amnesty.
What are the highlights of Mike Huckabee’s campaign?
- Tax reform. Plans to pass the FairTax and abolish the IRS, as well as veto any movement to raise taxes.
- Bringing values and morality back to the US- which he considers to be the building blocks of civilization. “Life, marriage and family issues aren’t bargaining chips or political considerations. They are moral issues.”