Wowza, this one was tough. I will give Carly Fiorina props- she’s running in a presidential election without any previous professional political experience. That takes guts. BUT- there’s something to be said in having political experience. I.E., I know what to expect from the other candidates. Maybe that’s a good thing, maybe that’s a bad thing… I don’t know. But it sure does make writing their profiles easier! It took a lot of digging to find Fiorina’s positions on these issues, and they’re not backed up by any evidence, which is disconcerting, of course. So… I have written this bio to the best of my knowledge,after a LOT of research. And I mean a LOT of research. Hope you find this helpful and informative! (And yes, I realize that a lot of these answers are vague… I will address that in a few weeks when I revisit all the candidates and get a bit more personal).
Who is Carly Fiorina?
-CEO at Hewlett-Packard (the first woman head of a Fortune 500 company)
Where does Carly Fiorina stand on certain issues?
- Gay Rights: Opposed to same sex marriage, but would be willing to allow gay couples civil unions. “People of religious conviction know that marriage is a religious institution with a spiritual foundation because only a man and a woman can create life, which is a gift that comes from God…. We must protect their rights as well.”
- Women’s Rights: She believes that “the Republican war on women,” is just a convenient tagline and useless propaganda used by Democratic politicians. “All issues are women’s issues. We are half of this great nation.”
- War: “We need to have the strongest military on the face of the planet and everyone needs to know it. America needs to face outward into the world, and I don’t think it is helpful to our interests or to the stability of the world when people focus on turning inward.” Does not think that war need be the only choice, though, when it comes to foreign conflict.
- Foreign Policy: Stands by Israel. Wants to end nuclear negotiations with Iran, provide arms to Ukraine, and take a confrontational stance with Russian President Putin.
- Abortion: Pro-life, with exceptions to rape, incest, or when the mother’s life is in danger.
- Student Loans/Debt: Believes the student loan industry should be simplified.
- Healthcare: Wants to repeal Obamacare. (From her website) “It’s essential that decisions about care stay in the hands of patients, their families and their doctors. To improve quality while also lowering costs, Washington should focus on passing bipartisan reforms that are known to be effective, such as encouraging competition in the health insurance market, cracking down on frivolous lawsuits and ensuring no one is denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.”
- Criminal Justice: Wants to stop criminalizing illegal drug use. “When you criminalize drug abuse, you’re actually not treating it.”
- Marijuana: Opposed to legalizing marijuana. “By legalizing marijuana, we are sending the signal to young people that marijuana is just like a beer, and it’s not.” But agrees that the states have the right to decide for themselves.
- Immigration: Wants to secure the northern and southern borders. Would allow children of illegal immigrants to become legal US citizens if they graduate college or join the armed forces. “It’s not practical to deport anyone who hasn’t engaged in crimes that are dangerous or destructive to society. Those who have obeyed the laws should be allowed to stay on and earn legal status, but not citizenship.”
What are the highlights of Carly Fiorina’s campaign?
Giving politics back to the citizens, which is why she’s running, despite her lack of professional political background.