We have 3 more Republicans who have announced that they will be running for President! I have honestly been so busy and out of the loop this week that I have no idea when this happened, but it did! So, it looks like this series will be continuing as I focus on each individual candidate before I move on to discuss the issues. Next week I will be writing about Carly Fiorina. I will then discuss Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee… And anyone else who declares their candidacy! But, for now, as promised, here’s the lowdown on Republican Senator Ted Cruz.
Who is Ted Cruz?
-Senator from Texas
-Born in Canada, but can still run for President
Where does Ted Cruz stand on certain issues?
- Gay Rights: Extremely opposed to same-sex marriage. “[The Democratic Party has] gotten so extreme and so radical in its devotion to mandatory gay marriage that they’ve decided there’s no room for the religious liberty protected under the First Amendment.” Believes marriage equality is a danger to the country. “I believe that engaging in homosexual conduct is a choice.”
- Women’s Rights: Does not want contraception included in health insurance if it deviates from the religious practices of the organization.
- War: “We should be reluctant to use military power. But if and when we’re required to use military force, it should be with a clearly defined objective, it should be with overwhelming force, and then we should get the heck out. It is not the job of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines to transform foreign nations into democratic utopias. It is their job to hunt down and kill terrorists who want to murder Americans before they can carry out jihad.”
- Foreign Policy: Opposed to the Obama administration’s deal with Iran. Supported Expatriate Terrorist Act, which keeps Americans who join ISIS from returning to the US.
- Abortion: Pro-life, with the exception of when the mother’s life is in danger.
- Student Loans/Debts: Argued in favor of getting rid of the Department of Education. Voted against limiting interest rates on student loans.
- Healthcare: Authored the ObamaCare Repeal Act. Sued the Bush administration over the government paying for prescription drugs for seniors. Introduced the Health Care Choice Act.
- Criminal Justice: Supports the death penalty. (wow, that’s all I could find. Help me out, readers! Have any more info?)
- Marijuana: Personally doesn’t want it legalized, but believes the decision should be left to the states. “If the citizens of Colorado decide they want to go down that road, that’s their prerogative. I personally don’t agree with it, but that’s their right.”
- Immigration: Wants to triple the size of US border control. Wants to streamline and simplify our legal immigration system by consolidating segmented visas, creating real and transparent caps, eliminating the diversity visa lottery, and treating all immigrants equally by eliminating the per-country caps. Celebrates legal immigration.
What are the highlights of Ted Cruz’s campaign?
-Upholding and maintaining the Constitution