I am really intrigued by the candidate I’m talking about today. I’ll get into the reasons for that in a few weeks when I revisit all the candidates again and get more personal in my opinions on them. For now, though, here’s an unbiased profile of the facts on Socialist “Democrat” Bernie Sanders.
Who is Bernie Sanders?
-Democrat Socialist. Independent
-US Senator from Vermont
-Chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
-Born in Brooklyn
Where does Bernie Sanders stand on certain issues?
- Gay Rights: Supports same-sex marriage.
- Women’s Rights: Voted for the Paycheck Fairness Act. Believes that birth control should be covered by insurance. Voted for the Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act of 2014, and the Access to Birth Control Act.
- War: Voted against military action in Iraq. Opposes sending troops back to Iraq. Believes war has a high cost, both monetarily and in the effects it has on our soldiers and their families.
- Foreign Policy: Supports the use of air strikes and limited use of special forces in the fight with Islamic State militants. He opposes sending U.S. ground troops into the region. Wants a two-state solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict
- Abortion: Pro-Choice. “We are not returning to the days of back-room abortions, when countless women died or were maimed. The decision about abortion must remain a decision for the woman, her family, and physician to make, not the government.”
- Student Loans/Debt: Proposed the Supporting College Success through Dual Enrollment Act, which would allow high school students to take dual high school and college classes to work toward a high school diploma and college credits at the same time to reduce how long they will have to pay for a college education. Also wants to make community college free for students who maintain a certain GPA.
- Healthcare: Wants to lower the price of prescription drugs by bringing greater transparency and competition to the health care system. Supporter of universal health care.
- Criminal Justice: (I’m sorry guys- I was not able to find a statement on his position on this issue. It is still early in his campaign, so when he addresses it, I will definitely edit this post. Please comment below if you have any source that addresses his position)
- Marijuana: Supports legalization of medical marijuana. Does not see the issue of legalizing marijuana as a major issue that he is concerned about- if anything, he is more concerned with decriminalizing it so we can focus on more serious, dangerous drugs, such as heroin and overdosing on prescription drugs. Has not officially stated his position on legalizing recreational marijuana.
- Immigration: Voted no on reporting illegal immigrants who receive hospital treatment. Voted no on making English the official language of the US. Voted no on building a wall around the border of Mexico. “I support President Obama’s action to help working families stay together. I think everyone agrees that the current immigration system is broken.”
What are the highlights of Bernie Sanders’ campaign?
- Wants major political revolution so that the government serves the middle-class people, not billionaires. Almost entirely focused on economic reform.
- Wishes to make the United States more like Sweden or Denmark when it comes to healthcare, education, and equality. “In those countries, college education and graduate school is free. In those countries, health care is the right of all people. In those countries, by and large, government works for ordinary people and the middle class, rather than, as is the case right now in our country, for the billionaire class.”
- “When I came to Congress I tried to be a voice for people who did not have a voice- the elderly, the children, the sick and the poor. And that is what I will be doing as a candidate for president.”
I’ll be back next week with my final (for now) profile, on Republican Ted Cruz. Unless any other politicians announce their candidacy for President between now and then, I will then start a series on Sundays about each of the individual issues and my personal opinion on the candidates and where they stand on certain issues. I hope you guys will stay tuned for it! I hope to start up some really good conversation and debates with these posts. Comment below with any thoughts or information you have on the candidates that I might have missed or been misinformed on.